... Blizzard Warning remains in effect until 6 PM akst Tuesday...
* what... blizzard conditions and high winds are occuring. Travel
will be very dangerous to impossible. Snow accumulations of 4
to 8 inches are expected. Freezing rain is possible. Winds
will gusts as high as 90 mph.
* Where... St Lawrence Island and Bering Strait coast. The
strongest winds are expected late tonight through Tuesday
* When... until 6 PM Tuesday. The strongest winds are expected
late tonight through Tuesday afternoon.
* Additional details... winds now gusting to 70 mph will increase
to 90 mph by late tonight. This will likely cause damage to
power lines and to buildings. Whiteout conditions in blowing
snow will continue through Tuesday. Large snow drifts will
A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout
conditions, making travel extremely dangerous.
Severe Weather Get Mobile & Email Alerts
St Lawrence Island and Bering Strait Coast Severe Watches & Warnings NOAA Weather Radio
Watches & Warnings
Issued: 7:06 AM AKST Feb. 19, 2018 – National Weather Service
Coastal Flood Warning
Issued: 7:23 AM AKST Feb. 19, 2018 – National Weather Service
... Coastal Flood Warning remains in effect from 9 PM this evening
to 9 PM akst Tuesday...
* location... southwest facing shores at Gambell, Little Diomede,
and at Wales.
* Coastal flooding... is expected along southwest facing
* Timing... late tonight through Tuesday night.
* Impacts... at Gambell, sea water, sea ice and debris are
expected to push onshore and impact the runway. At Little
Diomede and Wales, ice is expected to pile up onshore and
minor flooding may occur. At Teller and Brevig Mission, ice
could push on to the beach but no flooding is expected. No
buildings are expected to flood in these areas.
A coastal Flood Warning means that rising sea water that causes
flooding is expected. Coastal residents in the warned area should
be alert for rising water and take actions to protect life and